About Me

My photo
Life is the journey to discover yourself.

Monday, October 1, 2012

Learning and Unlearning

LEARNING:
Oct 1, 2012 : Today I learned that making up the mind is more effective than putting cosmetic makeup on the face. More people have smiled and talked to me this morning than in a long while. Early in the morning, I thought about the Vedic quote in Sanskrit " Ekam sat bipra bahuda vadanti.- The truth is one. The learned say it differently." I also did some deep breathing through my nose and mouth, using all combinations. "Hari Om tat sat. - God and soul are all that is true."
Oct 2,2012 : 
1.Breathing does help the body burn up energy. Breathe through the whole body like a baby.
2.It is also good to give everyone another chance. It was so nice to talk to my sister-in-law after such a long time. We talked about the kids and how the toddler years are fun.
3.I need to be more observant to learn. I missed the car when I entered the garage. The alarm drew my attention that my husband left.
Oct 3, 2012 :
This was regarding health. I faced a downward trend. I felt I needed to make a change. I set a first achievable goal for the next day. The next day it felt good to get to that point. It instilled confidence and turned the trend around. I learnt a few things that I want to apply today:

  • How do I set my goal? I need real information that made sense to set my next goal.
  • Set your boundaries to ensure you have a good chance to achieve the goal. This will require self discipline.
Oct 4, 2012 :
I am responsible for my current situation.
Oct 5, 2012 :
I learned to let my desire get fulfilled. I was aware of the risks. But I got a lot of confidence out of it. (I went and watched a movie with my kids on a week night. They did not have time to do their reading but they had fun and was very cooperative)
Oct 6, 2012 : I learned to respect my wish and extract it out of outside dependencies. My wish is fulfilled if I do.
Oct 7, 2012: I learnt that in swimming, music, reading and running we need to slow down to perfect the mechanics, then only after mastering it we should increase  the speed.

UNLEARNING:
Oct 1, 2012 : If I scan my badge within secs of someone going through the entrance, usually, the rotating bars get locked even though the scan light turns green. Today, it seemed to me that the bars locked for a split of sec and then  unlocked and let me go.
Oct 2, 2012 : Even if I am in an undesirable situation because of my fault. I do not have to feel miserable about it. I can quit thinking what I am losing and focus on the best parts of the current situation. For instance the moon last night when I walked back home after losing my temper.
Oct 3, 2012 : We are happy to reach our goal only for a brief period of time. What makes us happy is how we conduct ourselves throughout.
Oct 4, 2012 : We need to observe carefully each time without any expectation.

Oct 5, 2012 : By acknowledging our mistakes we do not reduce our capability. By acknowledging our weaknesses we do not make ourselves weak.
Oct 6, 2012: When we are near our goal, it is easy to lose focus. Focus on the work and let go off the goal.
Oct 7 , 2012 : When we let go off the stress, we enhance our performance.

QUOTE ABOUT LEARNING
Confucius said - He who learns but does not think, is lost. He who thinks but does not learn is in great danger.

I got scared when I read this one. Could I potentially be in great danger ? May be so but it is most probably for the best.  Then I thought about it and here is what I think....

When we experience, observe or practice something we learn. When we correlate  cause and effect then we are thinking about what we have learned. We could read a rule about cause and effect. We will be lost if we have no rational basis why it works that way. Analogy : A person following a map/ GPS (10 steps left , 15 steps right etc) to get to a place. Without the GPS or map he is lost.
If he studies the map and understand why he is taking left or right at what place, he will find his bearing without the map.

When we think without learning, then we are not using from the experiences and information around us. It is equivalent to getting stuck in one place. We can focus in order to learn.


No comments: